Monday, April 11, 2011

Hanna aka Running, Vague Fairytale Overtones, Techno Music and More Running

Anybody know how to say "please don't bean me with a shuttlecock" in German? I ask because there were in fact two German people playing badminton in front of the dorms and while they giggled with carefree German abandon, they also almost whacked me in the face with the shuttlecock thing (heh, shuttlecock). So yeah, now I get to fear for death by badminton while eating my lunch outside. There's a sentence I never really saw myself typing. Anyway, went and saw Hanna today and it was...weird.

Apparently Joe Wright was just biding his time with all these British period dramas

So Hanna was a movie who's progression could best be described as:

"So...that just happened"


Hanna tells the story of the titular teenaged girl, played by Saoirse Ronan, who lives in the woods with her German Daddy, Erik, played by Eric Bana, who I generally like to nickname Eric Banal but he's pretty good here. Anyway, they live in the woods and he raises her to be this little efficient killing-machine, full of a random variety of facts and information as well as fighting and survival tehchniques but kind of useless at blending in as a normal human being. What is Daddy Erik training Hanna for? Good question. The answer is "something something evil CIA woman who wants to kill you if she knew you existed so you have to kill her first something something you're special something" Yeah. Enter the villain, Marissa Wiegler, played by Cate Blanchett, in a wildly uneven southern accent that shifts from nonexistent to Yosemite Sam at a moment's notice.

"Thunder and tarnation, I hates that rabbit!"

So when Hanna decides she is ready to rock, Erik reveals their presence to the CIA, leaving Hanna to do her work and promising to meet with her in Berlin. Hanna is captured, escapes, and runs.



and runs



and has a lovely interlude where she meets up with a wacky British family on holiday composed of two precocious kids (the pop-culture obsessed and sarcastic but incredibly sweet daughter is funny as hell when juxtaposed against quiet, matter-of-fact Hanna), and the parents are the teacher everyone fancied in Rushmore and the ginger gangster from every Guy Ritchie movie ever.

and then runs some more.

Wheeeee!

All to the tune of some interesting atmospheric techno by The Chemical Brothers. Not as good as Daft Punk though. Just saying. The thing about Hanna is that the beginning is very tight, we have a lot of questions but the story is moving, the plot is engaging and everything is very claustrophobic. Once Hanna and the Brits leave the close walls of Morocco (it's complicated) and enter the open country the movie seems to get lost and devolve into running with brief pauses for cool fight scenes and an ultimately unsatisfying and inconclusive finale.

Things:

-There is a terrifying villain in the form of Tom Hollander's flamboyant and threatening German nightclub owner who murders people on the side for Cate Blanchett. Never have I been so freaked out by someone in a pale yellow tracksuit:

Just trust me on this one

But his character is never explored, motivations left unknown and he is never really utilized. Similarly, we never see what becomes of a whole host of characters, I guess we're supposed to assume they're dead but the movie is too busy showing Hanna run.

-There is also the whole "fairytale" angle everyone keeps talking about but to me the movie didn't seem very married to the idea of it as a Grimm fairytale. It's just a thriller peppered with bits of symbolism and imagery that sort of kind of allude to fairytales instead of actually, I dunno making connections or explaining things. Like, Blanchett's character has this weird thing with brushing her teeth til they bleed and we're supposed to go "she's evil! and teeth-focused! She's like the Wolf or something and now she has blood on her teeth-SYMBOLIC, YO"

It just feels lazy is all. Like if they stylize it enough, make all their visual choices look deep they somehow become deep. Not so much. After the first hour, Hanna flounders and never really gets back on course.

Final words: Hanna is by no means a bad film. It is well-acted, well-scored and the cinematography is really incredible, there are some amazing shots. But it's creepy without ever doing anything with it, tense without ever giving any more than a subtext of a reason for the tension, it quickly becomes tedious and the ending leaves you with more questions than anything else. Hanna stabs its way to two and a half catapults out of five.

One last thing: Roger Ebert made an interesting point in his review of Hanna where he compared her to Hit Girl from Kick-Ass, commenting on the inherent creepiness of the girl-child murder-machine. It's admittedly kind of fetish-y and he makes the point of asking "what would people say if it was a 16 year old boy killing bitches instead?" I'm not really going anywhere with this, just something to think about.

Anyway, this is Sugary Cynic, keeping an eye out for awkward blonde waifs who might try to snap my neck. 'Night!

CleverEuphemism: "What helps me like the movie more is imagining Saoirse Ronan is playing Briony from Atonement and all the bad guys wanna kill her cuz she's such a bitch"

33 comments:

  1. I'm going to write a book one day about Hamnet, the male equivalent of Hanna. And also, Shakespeare's dead son. Because he's multilayered like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my experience you have to be very firm with German badminton players.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A: Oh you :p

    Simon: Joe Wright will probably be willing to direct if Hamnet can be played by Saoirse Ronan

    Chris: Thanks for the tip, I will keep it in mind for next time

    ReplyDelete
  4. This site was... how do you say it? Relevant!
    ! Finally I have found something that helped me. Cheers!

    Also visit my web-site - exercises to increase vertical

    ReplyDelete
  5. If some one needs expert view on the topic of blogging and
    site-building then i propose him/her to visit this weblog,
    Keep up the fastidious job.

    My web page - apply visa credit card

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why visitors still use to read news papers when
    in this technological globe all is presented on web?

    My web-site Exercises For vertical

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there to every one, it's genuinely a good for me to pay a visit this site, it includes priceless Information.

    my webpage; http://www.Playivorys.com/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=LizetteJ0

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

    Also visit my site vulnerability risk assessment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to
    give a quick shout out and tell you I truly
    enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you suggest
    any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same
    topics? Thank you so much!

    Visit my web site: www.Socialmercor.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's up, I log on to your blogs daily. Your writing style is witty, keep up the good work!

    Also visit my webpage - http://thetravelerstrip.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading through your articles.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects?

    Thanks a ton!

    Also visit my web site exercises to increase vertical jump

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with useful information to work on. You have done an impressive process and our whole community might be thankful to you.

    Feel free to visit my weblog; www.miamorebg.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Howdy! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I genuinely enjoy reading through your blog posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go
    over the same subjects? Thank you!

    Here is my web-site ... workouts to jump higher

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's hard to come by educated people for this topic, but you seem like you know what you're talking about!

    Thanks

    Also visit my site; Vertical jump workouts

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read this piece of writing fully about the comparison of newest and previous technologies, it's remarkable article.

    Also visit my web page - exercises to Improve Vertical jump

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey there! I've been following your web site for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent job!

    Also visit my homepage ... vertical jump workouts

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?
    I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
    Any suggestions?

    My homepage; http://4shoptv.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What's up, its good piece of writing on the topic of media print, we all be aware of media is a fantastic source of information.

    My web page - workouts to increase vertical

    ReplyDelete
  19. Goοgle Vοice- This ρгogram gives
    you a fгee phοne numbeг, has fгee
    SΜS oг teхt meѕsаging, fгeе calling, free voicemаil and mаny other spеcіal features.
    I actuаlly fоund a beautiful tattoo drеss here
    foг under $10. With everythіng from sweaters and tоps
    to ԁrеsѕes, and much more, Chicos truly pгoѵes it holds
    great fashionѕ.

    Stop bу my webpage :: hotdeals

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long)
    so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly
    enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for novice blog writers? I'd really appreciate it.



    Have a look at my site; workouts for vertical

    ReplyDelete
  21. I got this site from my friend who shared with me about this website and
    at the moment this time I am visiting this website and reading very informative
    posts at this time.

    my web blog - www.alexanderburstein.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so awesome! I don't believe I've truly read through
    something like that before. So great to find another person with some genuine thoughts on this subject.
    Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up.
    This site is one thing that's needed on the web, someone with a little originality!

    Look at my blog post exercises to improve vertical

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a good tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere.

    Simple but very accurate information… Thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read post!

    Also visit my website :: mazungo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's remarkable to pay a quick visit this website and reading the views of all friends concerning this post, while I am also zealous of getting knowledge.

    My website; exercises for vertical leap

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do you have a spam problem on this website; I
    also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; many of us have created some nice procedures
    and we are looking to trade techniques with others, please shoot me an email if interested.



    Also visit my blog post; exercises to improve vertical jump

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your blog?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 pictures.
    Maybe you could space it out better?

    Feel free to surf to my webpage ... khutba.org

    ReplyDelete
  27. You're so awesome! I don't believe I have read anything like
    that before. So great to find someone with unique thoughts on
    this issue. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up.
    This web site is one thing that's needed on the web, someone with some originality!

    Feel free to surf to my blog post; exercises to increase vertical

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You are wonderful! Thanks!

    Here is my website - czasnaczat.pl

    ReplyDelete
  29. My brother suggested I might like this website. He was totally right.
    This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply
    how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!


    my page - Http://Adaptcoding.Com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to
    see a great blog like this one these days.

    Here is my page: exercises for vertical Leap

    ReplyDelete
  31. Excellent article. I absolutely love this site. Stick with it!


    Here is my homepage ... exercises to improve vertical

    ReplyDelete

Share the love! Or, alternatively, the hate. Whichever, I'm easy

These Are Also Nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails