Friday, March 4, 2011

Grrl Power: Confessions of a Music Fan

CleverEuphemism here, and there is something I have to confess. I like grrl music.

Now, I don’t say this with trepidation. I don’t say this with shame. But usually when people see, or worse, HEAR, me start to break out to a t.A.T.u. song their faces usually resemble this:

Not that I can really blame them. Liking t.A.T.u. is on par with liking Savage Garden, who I also like, but that is beside the point. And I understand the reaction completely.

However, t.A.T.u. is hot:

I have such a raging clue right now, you don’t even know.

So I know t.A.T.u. is not good music (just like Lady Gaga, OH BUUURN). Hell, I am not sure they are even good examples of “grrl music,” but people know who they are. Now, I do think of myself as a bit of a music buff (honestly, more of a music buff than a movie one, at least in some respects), so I am always trying to push the latest band on people. So far I have been able to successfully push the following onto the local Cynic: Mumford & Sons, Kenna, The National, Sufjan Stevens, and more, I’m sure, but those are the notable ones that everyone should give a listen to.

Now, for this post I am going to highlight just grrl, or grrl influenced acts that I think everyone should give a chance to at least once, or at least be exposed to. I am sure some of these acts will be familiar to some people, so enjoy some music you already enjoy!

First and foremost when thinking of grrl music Bikini Kill comes to mind:

They kind of own the whole “grrl punk” genre. And they aren’t bitches I would want to mess with. Fuck, they make me feel insecure in my own masculinity!

Song: Rebel Girl

Lyric of note: “In her hips there's revolution / Where she walks the revolution's coming / In her kiss I taste the revolution”

What it means: So apparently the space between this girl’s hips is a revolution, and where ever she goes that thing is coming, and when you kiss her you taste that revolution. Apparently this is the first song about auto-fellating females, and that in and of itself is awesome!


Now closely related to Bikini Kill is Le Tigre. Part of the reason they are closely related is ‘cuz they share some of the same band members and shit.

Think of Le Tigre as some super awesome combination of grrl rock bands (like the Beatles plus the Monkees), only from the future or something apparently.

Song: Deceptacon

Lyric of note: “Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? /Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?”

What it means: I think these two questions are pivotal to answer if you ever plan to reach nirvana. Also, I always kind of hoped that this song is somehow secretly about the evil transformers, cause that would be badass.

Moving away from the punk aspect of grrl music, and moving more towards folk, we come to meet one of my favorite bands, Tegan and Sara.

I once stood in the South Florida rain for 2 hours while they performed, and I loved every minute of it. Oh, and also, you may have noticed they are twins… but, trust me, Tegan is the cool one.

Song: Living Room

Lyric of note: “my windows look into your bathroom, / where i spend the evening watching you get yourself clean.”

What it means: On the one hand this song has a very.. umm… creeptastic undertone. But yet, coming from them it sounds kind of… not creeperish, some how. Also, in case you didn’t know, these twins are from Canada, and part of me thinks there isn’t much to do there aside from shoveling snow, so looking into people’s bathrooms might be a widely accepted and celebrated way to pass the time. Who am I to judge?


Another favorite act of mine that arguably fits the bill of falling under the “grrl” genre of music, at least depending on the album and song, is Regina Spektor.

Yeah, she sings, drinks, and is hot. REGINA IF YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE, JUST HAVE A CONSENSUAL EVENING OF UNBRIDALED LUST WITH ME.

Song: Your Honor

Lyric of Note: “I kissed your lips and I tasted blood / I asked you what happened and you said there'd been a fight”

What it means: Apparently, and I know I am really pulling at the thin strings here, there was a fight in which whoever the narrator is kissing got a busted lip. Yeah, I don’t know how I deduced that either, so your look of sheer wonderment is well deserved on my part. Thanks.


I admit that this last artist and song really doesn’t fit with the rest of these acts, but it is just pure aural bliss, and everyone should be exposed to it once.

Yeah, that is an actual album sleeve. So yeah, this shit is old... like ancient. I am surprised people are still alive from this era.

Song: Vashti Bunyan – Train Song

Lyric of Note: “It's so many miles and so long since I've met you / Don't even know what I'll find when I get to you / But suddenly now I know where I belong / It's many hundred miles and it won't be long”

What it means: Well, this is one where I’ll just say that you either get this, or you don’t. If you do, then you’ve been here, and you feel it in your bones. If not, you’ll get it… some day…. Unless you die before you do, which would be sad, probably sadder for you than me… but sad nonetheless, kind of like when they cancelled Star Trek: Voyager.


And now, I feel accomplished, like I have actually done the music world justice. I am not sure these songs are truly representative of these artists, so if your ears didn’t bleed, go out and check out some more from these artists. Liking music is good. Liking good music is even better.

This is CleverEuphemism wiggling his hips away to try and find out who did take the bompalompalomp….

Le Tigre: “Oh fuck, Giuliani. He's such a fucking jerk. Shut down all the stripbars”

6 comments:

  1. Uh...Hole? I should like more grrl music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just anti-Courtney Love.

    I would apologize for such a hatred, but... I am not sure that is anything I should feel bad about. SHE KILLED KURT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good God, I am too shocked after Rebel Girl to continue. Time for a large gin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. KURT KILLED KURT. PAY ATTENTION.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told you Rebel Girl was too much! (I mean, I told you after the fact, but still) and everyone knows PAUL MCCARTNEY KILLED KURT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PAUL IS DEAD, HE COULDN'T HAVE KILLED KURT.

    Yoko, however, killed Paul.

    ReplyDelete

Share the love! Or, alternatively, the hate. Whichever, I'm easy

These Are Also Nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails