Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What The Hell Is This Crap?

Discovered while lurking a friend's tumblr:

I...I really don't think I'm properly equipped with the swear words for this one.

WHAT

THE

FUCK

?

Apparently it's for an honors (HONORS!?) Intro to Fiction class at some university (not mine, thank god) and has been paired with likes of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I'll let that sink in.

As much as I am apt to rag on Twilight for being, as the kids say, pants-on-head retarded, you know, whatever, it's just a book. But when it becomes curriculum?

Even the other vampires are tired of this crap

I need to go to my happy place.

No, 30 Rock, it's not like that, me and Community are just friends, I swear! ...and Abed understands me like no one else can.

So...to rapidly change the subject, for my guest bloggers, here's what the schedule is looking like so far:

Feb. 13- Noli

14, 15, 16, 17- Still up for grabs

18- Unwashed Mass

19- Simon

Let me know what you want before it ends up being whatever's left!

Um, yeah. So I'm procrastinating on an Anthro paper right now...ok, I suppose I have time for one quick story. Andy is one of those people who doesn't go gaga for hot people. Like, if he thinks a lady is hot, he doesn't say anything, which has prompted some of us to go on a quest to discover Andy's "type" by way of typing various actresses names into google images and holding them for his approval (Mila Kunis barely got an "eh" in a shocking upset). After getting positive "she's pretty"'s for Jada Pinkett Smith and Halle Berry, I typed "black actresses" into google images. Why am I telling you this? Because this is what came up:

Dunno about you guys, but my favorite black actress is Harrison Ford. No contest.

I have so many questions that I do not want answers to.

This is Sugary Cynic, who has long since lost her grip on reality. 'Night!

(When I was driving with the two kids I sit for, Buffy the vampire slayer and the Dread Pirate Roberts, a Flogging Molly song comes on)

Buffy: "I like them!"

Me: "Yeah, my boyfriend's taking me to a concert they're doing"

Buffy: "CAN I COME? CAN I? Is there an extra ticket you could get?"

Me: "Uh, no, sorry. Pretty sure it's 18+ anyway, kiddo"

Buffy: "I can be a fifty-year old midget. I could even be a ninety-year old midget"

Me: "Yeah but do you have an ID saying you're a ninety-year old midget?"

Buffy: "...Oh yeah, right. Hmmm, I could give them my ninetieth birthday card!"

Me: "So you'll be a ninety-year old midget lady on her way to an Irish punk concert?"

Buffy: "I'm a crazy old lady!!"

10 comments:

  1. i hope professor harrawood kicks that professors arse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahahaha! Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh. Twilight as curriculum? Hm...maybe it's a lesson in irony...? haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm canonical, bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I had it bad when my study material was Return of The Native :) although I am reading Twilight now LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let us take a moment of silence for the real victims: the kids who signed up for that class before they knew the books. Those poor, poor assholes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morose: Oh no, it wasn't any class here, thank god. But if it was, rest assured Dr. Harrawood would kick the crap out of them

    Robert: It's what I'm here for :D

    Edward Cullen: BACK, BEAST! BACK TO THE SPARKLY PIT FROM WHENCE YOU CAME!!

    SJ: ok, quarantine yourself til your done so I don't catch the Twilight tho, k? :p (I kid...mostly)

    Simon: They never saw it coming

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is seriously an INSULT to REAL fiction writing (OK, in my opinion, that is).
    And putting it on the same shelf as Bram Stoker's or Mary Shelley's??? They roll in their graves now. I pray the actually rise and avenge this insult to injury. As a curriculum, it's utterly ridiculous.

    Now we have the answer to "What went wrong with our kids these days?" --- school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG... as HONORS curriculum no less. I haven't read any Twilight or seen the movies, so maybe I've got no place to say, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son is still in High School...don't even want to imagine what college curriculum will be like 4 yrs from now. He's Honors in HS and I have a hard time reading what he brings home. I don't know how in the world he doesn't fall asleep reading some of those books. I mean, seriously! BORING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three: Well, I'm not quite old enough to say "kids these days" lol, but I share the sentiment

    Rachel: Trust me, you're not missing anything

    Mary: ...As a nerd I am offended. Kidding. Mostly.

    ReplyDelete

Share the love! Or, alternatively, the hate. Whichever, I'm easy

These Are Also Nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails