Monday, February 21, 2011

Paranormal Activity 2: Paranormal Harder

Hey, hey guys. I'm on Ron's blog today :D Read it if you want to learn about why Boy George and I are mortal enemies (I'd say it makes more sense in context but really, it doesn't).


Anyway. Remember this? Now there's this:

In found footage that no one really believes is found footage anymore, because, c'mon, for reals guys, Sugary Cynic decided that since the first Paranormal Activity was fun in a "nothing's happening, nothing's happening, nothing's happening, OHGODWHATTHEHELLWASTHAT??" sort of way, she might as well give the sequel a shot and watched it with her friend Jasmine. This is what was recovered:

So...it's basically the first movie over again except the whiny chick is replaced with a whiny mom, the douchey dude is replaced with...a douchey dude and for good measure they toss in a cute baby, a plucky teenage girl, a faithful dog and a magical maid/nanny. Yep, it's a sequel all right. Well, technically it's a prequel, supposed to sort of explain the events of the first. See the mom of this family is Eventual Demon Meat-Puppet From The First Movie Kate's sister, Kristi. The good news: She just had a baby boy named Hunter. The bad news: Ghostly demon bitches want in her house.

I'd watch it

So yeah, spooky things abound as stuff gets set on fire, pans fall and pool equipment does not behave how one would expect pool equipment to. Jasmine and I began the movie in the same skeptical state me and Jon did the first time around. We were veterans of the first film, what could they possibly surprise us with?:



And then of course, things began to escalate. Shadows appeared, doors opened and slammed shut, and the family achieved levels of denial previously unheard of.

*Shit moves around on its own accord*

Teen: "AAAH! What's going on?"

Mom: "It's just the wind, honey"

Teen: "But the baby's eyes are glowing red and he's dancing on the ceiling"

Mom: "Yup, just the wind"

Slowly, as you get sucked into the random inanities of this upper-middle class suburban family, the tension begins to ratchet up...



Then things start to get really messed up. This demon ain't kidding around. After he violates the "don't hurt the dog" rule and makes children's toys even creepier than they are on their own, you know shit's gettin' real. Even this dipstick of a family begins to realize as the mom gets dragged into the basement that all is not well within the household.



At this point, all hell is breaking loose and Jasmine and I are clutching our knees in mild terror. Then the magical ethnic nanny comes back to save the day! Yay Ethnic Nanny! But what about the events of the first film? How does that affect this story. Well, the movie's final scene explains that. And it is terrifying. Like:



You win again, Paranormal Activity. *Shakes fist* The plot is stupid and contrived, the characters are annoying, apart from the cute baby, and the movie uses a lot of the same tricks as the first one to scare you. The thing is, those tricks work and at the end of the movie I was, well, you see the picture. Paranormal Activity 2 is pretty decent for a sequel and scores three pants-wees out of five.

Sugary Cynic was later found hiding under her desk, clutching her Totoro pillow and yelling "Don't judge meeeeeeee...'Night!"



Jasmine: "Oh my god! Why can't you people stay away from the goddamn basement?! It's not hard, just don't open the freaking door!"

17 comments:

  1. I wasn't too impressed with the first one, all the hype and people telling me they didn't sleep for weeks after. The only bit that got me was the ending and I did hide behind the pillow for that one - the rest of it was like "Oh come on - please give me something worth gripping the edge of my seat for". I'm still in two minds about this one but just because you've got my curiosity going I think I will put it onto my watch list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cure yourselves. Watch Mulan. Preferably with your most special friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I skipped the first one because contrived fright nights irritate me, so the 2nd one wasn't on my radar. However, my question has always been...why do the idiot (and seemingly coincidentally BLONDE) cheerleaders ALWAYS run UP the stairs?? Nothing good ever happens upstairs... =)

    Nice job again Ms Sugary, but this time I think I'll still skip the movies. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SJ: Oh yeah, I'd never classify this as pants-wettingly scary. I mean really. But it is fun!

    Simon: I generally only watch Mulan with special friends

    Jewell: Eh, different strokes for different folks, etc etc. And the cheerleaders run upstairs because movies are no fun without some good ol' eviscerated cheerleader. Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really attention-grabbing, You are an excessively professional blogger.
    I've joined your feed and stay up for seeking more of your great post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks

    Feel free to surf to my web page; Sac A Main Louis Vuitton

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with valuable information to work on. You have performed a formidable job and our entire neighborhood might be grateful to you.

    Look into my site ... Louis Vuitton Outlet Online

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning
    this write-up and also the rest of the site is also really good.


    Feel free to surf to my homepage; website

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having read this I believed it was very enlightening. I appreciate you taking the time and energy to
    put this short article together. I once again find
    myself personally spending way too much time both reading
    and posting comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!


    Feel free to surf to my webpage :: Read More

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog here! Additionally your web site a lot up fast!
    What host are you the use of? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink to your host?
    I want my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

    Check out my web blog: link

    ReplyDelete
  10. I visited multiple blogs however the audio quality for audio songs current at this website is truly wonderful.


    my site; Recommended Site

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's what I was searching for, what a stuff! existing here at this website, thanks admin of this web page.

    Feel free to surf to my webpage ... Cheap Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article.
    I'll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.

    My weblog; Nike Air Jordan (smu-fr.org)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why viewers still make use of to read news papers when in this technological
    globe the whole thing is presented on net?


    Feel free to surf to my web-site Chaussures De Foot Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  14. Howdy! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this write-up to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

    Check out my web-site :: Sac a main Guess

    ReplyDelete
  15. Greetings from Idaho! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you provide here and can't wait to take a look when I get home.
    I'm shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .
    . Anyways, very good blog!

    Here is my web-site - Louis Vuitton Handbags

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone
    to do it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks a lot

    Also visit my site Boutique Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  17. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing
    this write-up plus the rest of the site is also very good.


    My web-site: Read More

    ReplyDelete

Share the love! Or, alternatively, the hate. Whichever, I'm easy

These Are Also Nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails