Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Red Moon Rising

'Sup e-people. If the inanity of that greeting didn't make you die a little inside, then you might be as tired as I am right now. Why I am tired? you might ask. Wow, that's rude, I don't inquire the intimate details of how YOU spend your nights, even though everyone saw you sneaking off to your room with cut-out pictures of Julia Child and a jar of Miracle Whip. You weren't being sneaky at all.

Ok, that got weird. Starting over, I am tired because I was up watching the lunar eclipse last night because a lunar eclipse has not coincided with the winter solstice since 1638 and won't happen again until 2094. So unless I end up an undead brain in a jar, this was going to be my only shot so I stayed up and did some moon-gazing with my dad and his telescope. And then we had work. Hence the tiredness and lack of coherency.

So, rather than push my luck, for those of you who can't be bothered to wake up at 3am and go outside and look at the moon for an hour and a half, here some cool pictures of it, taken by my dad, because he is a wizard:

The regular moon aka Moon Classic aka Original Flavor Moon


Run through a yellow filter for extra mysterious-ness, because dusky yellow makes everything look more ominous!


Somewhere, "Thus Spake Zarathustra" is playing


I'd make some Pink Floyd joke about the dark side of the moon but then even I would have to beat me up. Still, I bet this picture syncs up to The Wizard of Oz.

(sounds of punching)

WORTH IT!!

and finally:

This one makes me feel like I should be telling stories around the campfire in my alcoholic hobo Geoffrey Rush voice. "Listen close, me laddies, and I'll tell you the tale of the red moon! It's when someone flashes you their sunburned ass"


Maybe not.

This is Sugary Cynic saying "ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" 'Night!

5 comments:

  1. I missed it. I was up til about 7 in the morning and the eclipse was about 7.30. I forgot about it and went to sleep. I intend to replicate the experience by passing an ashtray infront of the moon in a minute or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely photos. wish I had seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed it, because this world is cruel and doesn't appreciate lunar anomalies, but I did use it as an excuse for getting out of lunch (where it is loud and sticky, and you can't just hang out in the halls because their are teachers literally on standby at every corner, because we can't have teenagers roaming, oh no...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I set my alarm to get up and see it...but the clouds got in the way. I stayed up anyway out of respect for the event and watched Seinfeld re-runs...I think that counts...not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unwashed: That'll do it. Same difference.

    Isabel: yeah, my dad's pretty handy with a camera. Sorry you missed it, just plan for next time! ...In 2094. Ah, science'll think of something!

    Simon: That sucks, when I was in high school they let us roam free and eat lunch wherever we wanted. We had our special lunch balcony *memories*

    Ron: It counts. But only cuz it's Seinfeld.

    ReplyDelete

Share the love! Or, alternatively, the hate. Whichever, I'm easy

These Are Also Nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails