Sunday, December 12, 2010

I Need You To Make Me A Promise

You know that point in your life where you start to suck? When this:



Becomes this:



Let's not do that. Let's be awesome forever, and not in the " live fast and die young so we never have to get old enough to suck" way, because that is the weenie's way out. It's easy to maintain greatness when you never live long enough to be tempted by the ease of mediocrity.

Pictured: A quitter*

* Jim, I'm just exaggerating to make a point, I have a poster of you over my bed that I've had since I was fifteen. We cool, right?

Erhm, anyway, I need you to promise me that you won't let this happen to you. I bet it's easy when you get older to get complacent, to get lazy and just accept things for what they are, accept a crappy life for what it is.

BULLSHIT

Never be satisfied with crappy! Never be happy with mediocrity! (Keep in mind I am not saying "Never be satisfied" If you happen to find yourself living the life you've always wanted for yourself and your extra-sexy spouse then good on you!)

It is perfectly acceptable to be content with your life if it looks like this

Otherwise, don't settle in, don't suck it up and take it, that's how it starts! Do you think 80's Eddie Murphy in his red jacket-thingy unzipped to the waist ever saw himself doing the crap he does today? Hell no! But money is money is money and eventually, he probably managed to convince himself that he enjoys making garbage like Meet Dave.

Promise me it'll never come to this

And I'm not even talking about some massive, quit-your-job-and-flee-to-Tibet type thing either. Unless that's what you need to do. You do small stuff to keep the need, the desire to do SOMETHING even if it's as tiny as exerting that little bit of extra effort that's such a pain in the ass and hardly even seems worth it half the time, but you know it is. DO IT. Stay like this, promise me I won't wake up one morning far off into the future and discover you've become like everyone else, you've taken something because it was easy and it was there and not because it was what you've been working and dreaming and pining for.

And stay that way. 'Cause if you don't, I will be very disappointed in you.

10 comments:

  1. It's too late, Sugar. It's too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've reached the age where I could have been sucking for a few years, but I refuse to let anything stand in the way of me being awesome, even if my definition of awesome grows-that should always change, grow, and get bigger <3 But you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. T_T WE WILL BE AWESOME FOR FOREVER AND EVER! (p.s., did I mention that it's SNOWING up here right now?? SNOW!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. See this? This is relevent:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj0tE4yzlrY

    Nah, it's easier to die before you start sucking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachael: You'd better, because a pinky swear is solemn bond not unlike a blood oath

    Unwashed: Pffft, quitter. I'd yell something inspirational about how it's never too late but it's 2am and I'd be waking up people who have work in the morning

    Teppy: At ease, soldier!

    Widow: I'd be kind of worried if our personal definitions of awesome didn't change between say, 5 years old and 25 years old...although I'd still like to be Super Mario...

    Val: HOLY CRAP SNOW! MAIL ME SOME

    Simon: (can't reply, current downloading all available episodes of Misfits now)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're all free on Youtube, and HOLY SHIT MOST AWESOME SHOW EVER TELL ME WHAT YOU THIIIIIIIINK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sage words my dear! I'm lucky being in advertising...'cause hwen things (or people) start to suck...we re-pakage and brand it as new and improved :) Were it not for this practice...reality TV would suck...oh wait...it does...never mind...Sage words my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simon: OK I WILL!!!

    Ron: I be full of that sage wisdom. And other things. But mostly sage wisdom.

    ReplyDelete

Share the love! Or, alternatively, the hate. Whichever, I'm easy

These Are Also Nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails