Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cramming 31 Days of Blogging Into One

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's your neighbor's dog on meth, No! It's Sugary Cynic!

Who may also be on meth

So there's this meme-a-majig going around that's a month-long dealie which sounds fun but as we all know I don't have nearly enough of an attention span to-

.......Huh? Were you saying something?

Yeah. Well, the everly clever Univarn of A Life In Equinox revealed in a post the obvious genius of just doing it all in go. An idea that I am promptly stealing. Because today was a slow day, the highlight of which was re-watching Kick-Ass and defacing my roommate's Twilight poster of Jacob with post-it notes when she made the mistake of leaving her door unlocked (and open!) again. Also Ashley helped, so I'm not the room's sole deviant.

Hey, Jake, you look...different somehow. New haircut?

So yeah, since that took up a lofty two sentences, let's see if we can't blow through a month's worth of meme-ing in one go:


1. Sequel that should not have been made
So many to choose from! I'm gonna say Ocean's 12 aka Hot Dudes Fuck Around In Europe For Two Hours But Not In A Good Way. The first one was so much fun, for both the actors and the audience. The second one, not so much.

2. Movie you think more people should see
Ooh another hard one. I think everyone should see just-barely-post-rehab Robert Downey Jr in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang because it is AMAZING and has Val Kilmer playing a gay bad-ass detective, but if you'd prefer something a tad obscure, Zero Effect is a favorite movie of mine that every time I bring up people go "wha?" It has Bill Pullman as this super-genius Sherlock Holmes-type who is a basket-case full neuroses and rampant assholery. Ben Stiller is his weary assistant in a role that actually makes you not want to strangle him. It's a very simple, very spare movie and if you're a fan of detective fiction, you'll probably dig it.

Please ignore the horrid 90's music:


3. Favorite Oscar-nominated movie from most recent ballot
Dang, that's a toss up between Up and Inglourious Basterds...which is a movie I would totally watch.



4. Movie that makes you laugh every time

Be Kind Rewind. A lot of people give this movie shit, but all I know is that I crack up every time I hear Jack Black sing his rendition of the Ghostbusters theme song:



5. Movie you loathe
The Notebook. Or any Nicholas Sparks-based film, honestly. But mostly The Notebook, which my friend Val made me watch with her as a support because her roommate was making her watch. It is such a sappy, ridiculous, groan-inducing...uuuuurrrrrggghhh. I hate it so much.

6. Movie that makes you cry every time
I'd say Green Mile but I've only seen it once, I couldn't handle watching it again because I sobbed like a baby through about 60% of it. It's just so damn painful and Michael Clarke Duncan is all magical and...and the prison dude was such a jack-ass!! ...Ok, I'm ok. Barring that, all four times I've seen Up, I tear up during the Married Life Montage



*sniffle* don't judge me

7. Least favorite movie by a favorite actor/actress
Reign of Fire. I love Christian Bale, both because he is mad sexy and also because he's an insanely dedicated and talented actor. But God, not all the sexy and/or talented actors in the world could save this piece of shit. You' think the presence of maternal-fornicating DRAGONS and a bald and insane Matthew McConaughey would hold some novelty. But no. Not even a little.

*Snort**Giggle* ...ok, maybe just a little

8. Movie that should be required high school viewing

Ferris Bueller's Day Off. You should not be allowed to graduate without seeing it. There are college students in this world who don't know who Abe Froman is!!



9. Best scene ever
Shit. That's rather difficult. I feel like I'd have to name like, twelve before I could be happy but since it was the first one that popped into my head at this question, I'd go for the last scene of The Usual Suspects. If you're one of the three people on earth who haven't seen this movie I won't ruin it for you. Suffice to say it is mind-blowing, changes the whole movie and will make you love Kevin Spacey.

10. A movie you thought you wouldn't like but ended up loving

I. Hate. Musicals. With a roaring, bloody passion. One day, Moulin Rouge was on TV. I was going to flip away but Ewan McGregor looked really good so I figured I'd check out the beginning, see how bad it was and whatnot. Two hours, a musical number featuring music by Freddie Mercury, an evil count, a singing dwarf dressed as a nun, a narcoleptic Argentinian and a nasty case of consumption later and I was converted.

11. A movie that disappointed you

Heat. Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm crazy, I have no good taste in cinema, so on and so forth. Admittedly, the scene of Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino together is AMAZING and the gun fight near the end is epic, it's just all the space in between is so boring. I get nuance and pacing and subtlety but I just didn't feel that. I felt bored and kept wondering when DeNiro was going to stop dithering with the art-chick and do something awesome again.

12. Best soundtrack/background music in a scene

That is not a question you ask a soundtrack geek. There are like, two dozen ones I can think of, but for the preservation of your sanity, I'll go with The Legend of 1900, the track/scene called "Playing Love" by Ennio Morricone



13. Favorite animated movie
It feels like a cop-out picking a Miyazaki movie. But they're just so awesome! It's a tie between Spirited Away, which has such a fantastic story and characters and Howl's Moving Castle, which story-wise isn't as strong, but is visually epic.

14. Favorite movie in black and white

The 3rd Man, with Orson Welles, just before he ballooned-out, as everyone's favorite Magnificent Bastard, Harry Lime. No contest...Unless Young Frankenstein counts. Then it gets a tad more complicated.

15. Best musical

See number 10. Although the musical version of The Producers is pretty good too.

16. Your guilty pleasure movie
There are two. One is my all-time guilty pleasure and the other is the new champion. One is Casanova, which stars the sadly departed Heath Ledger as the titular womanizer and is really just a silly, fluffy good time. The other is How To Train Your Dragon, which I like way more than it is reasonable to like a Dreamworks animated film. Also it's not out on DVD yet and I've already seen it (through various avenues legal and otherwise) six times. Yeah, I have a problem. And it is dragon-related.

17. Favorite series of related movies
The Indiana Jones trilogy. Raiders of the Lost Ark = AWESOME, Temple of Doom = SLIGHTLY LESS AWESOME BUT ON A SLIDING SCALE OF AWESOMENESS STILL PRETTY GOOD, and Last Crusade = MOST AWESOME EVER FOREVER. It's a good thing they didn't screw it all up by making a fourth one twenty years later....

18. Favorite title sequence
Catch Me If You Can. Not really sure why, it's very old school and I really like the overall style of them, I think it goes a long way towards conveying the tone of the movie:



19. Best movie cast
Good Night and Good Luck, and also possibly Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Both had actors that really inhabited their characters and gave knock-out performances.

20. Favorite kiss
Like you even have to ask:



21. Favorite romantic couple
Hellboy and Liz from well, Hellboy. Mostly because I love that all their couple-y issues have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he's a demon hellspawn and she's a human Bic lighter.

There are so many other delightfully screwed up reasons that they're such a deranged couple :D

22. Favorite final scene/line
I don't think any line ever in the history of ever beats the final line in Caddyshack, spoken by Rodney Dangerfield:


"Hey Everybody, we're all gonna get laid!"

23. Best explosion or action scene

The continuous shot from The Protector aka "Oh, I'm sorry, did Tony Jaa just beat the stuffing out of you guys in one long continuous take up a winding staircase?"



24. Quote you use most often
Once again, do you even have to ask? (I'll spare you the video this time)

The Rock, John Mason: "Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

25.
A movie you plan on watching (old or new)
I have a list: Punch Drunk Love, Up In The Air, Children of Men and A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints to name a few

26. Freakishly weird movie ending
I feel like the answer to this question is always Fight Club, or I suppose I could claim the non-ending of Monty Python and the Holy Grail as freakishly weird seeing as it's their most linear film and then it just...stops. And then plays some lively music.

27. Best villian
Jeremy Irons. In anything. But if you want to be particular I cast my vote for Scar in the Lion King, who for many in my age bracket was out first good look at true diabolical evil.



28. Most over-hyped movie

For me, it was The Incredibles. I remember people going positively apeshit over this movie. And then I saw it and it was like "huh?" I mean, it wasn't bad. A Pixar movie could never be called bad. But it just didn't seem to live to the mass fanboy orgasms. Also I have a few issues with the films message, which seems to say "some people are just special and you aren't so suck it up and let them do their thing" which is kinda weird. So yeah, The Incredibles just didn't click with me.

29. Movie you have watched more than ten times

The Rock. I could watch it a hundred times and still love every bit of it. Same with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Combined I've probably seen them close to fifty times.

30. Saddest death scene

I'm a wimp, so I can think of quite a few that killed me on the inside. Most recently though, I'd say Virginia's death in Let The Right One In. She's not a major character by any means but it's still powerful. She becomes infected when she's attacked by Eli and decides that rather than turn into a monster, she will take her own life to protect her husband and, everyone else, I guess. I cried. A lot.

31. Scene that made you stand up and cheer
Toy Story 3, just in general. The ending is so perfect it hurts.

Well, damn that was eventful. If you actually made it through all that, here's a reward:



Yup, still not tired of it!

39 comments:

  1. The best movie soundtrack is from Highlander. The original. You can't possibly do better than Queen. I have never seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Or the Usual Suspects. I may have to borrow this idea that you borrowed. Hmmm, maybe on Tuesday........ ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention, though I should note I did not come up with the idea of putting it all on one day. I stole it from Mad Hatter (Dark of the Matinee) and MovieNut14 (Life of a Cinephile and Bibliophile), who in turn took it from others. Perhaps an origin trace could be done!

    As for yours, awesome choices all around. Way back when I was in my senior year of high school (well 2005 isn't "way" back), our "senior quote" was from Ferris Bueller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People just don't understand Be Kind Rewind. Bastards.

    Doing it all at once is so much easier, I saved, like, a month of my life.

    Hellboy and Liz are so cute together.

    Disney villains get the best songs. And they're so much cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You lie!!!! I know you like musicals!!!!! LIAR!!!!! You just hate Rent...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly an epic post! I visialize James Brown at the end of a concert when the Roadie comes on stage to put his cape on and help him off.

    You made me cry with the "Up" clip and I am mad at you for that...I don't cry...well, yes I do...never mind.

    The Billy Joel take on Farris Bueller was brilliant.

    Jack Black could recite prescription labels and I would pay to watch.

    Anyway...I could chew up your cyber comment space, but I won't. Great Post...breath in, breath out :)

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rich: If you pass on this meme to four hundred and sixteen friends in five days, you will have luck and happiness and find your true love in Belgium.

    Univarn: My bad >_< what a tangled web the internets weave

    Simon: As always, glad you approve :D

    Jon: BUT I HATE THEM SO MUCH

    Ron: YES. I NEED A JAMES BROWN CAPE! Sorry I made you cry, but at least for a nice reason and not because you dropped a couch on your foot or somesuch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I was completely unprepared for the Married Life montage when I saw Up at the movies. My sister and I were sobbing. I cried again watching it the first two times on dvd, now I have to force myself to be very detached. I like the idea of stealing this meme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Manda: Go for it! At this point, stealing this meme is becoming a meme itself (META!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. After all, that is what catering in all its forms is about.

    Deciding on the best Android UI is tough - after all, these user interfaces appear
    on phones of varying specification. In regards to quitting not always meaning failure, I think
    you're right.

    Here is my website far cry 3

    ReplyDelete
  10. ll need to research and book to ensure a smooth family cruise.
    s just a small weekend get a way, or that long planned vacation away to some
    tropical destination or elsewhere in the world. For your hot tub remember to place the cover on
    it if you aren't using it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will also help if you are looking at streaming video or listening to streaming audio.
    Imagine not only watching movies, but playing games, using your
    computer, and listening to music on a pristine sound system.
    There are also pressure-sensitive media control buttons you can use to play, pause, fast
    forward and rewind your movies and music.

    Also visit my blog post - entertainment

    ReplyDelete
  12. They make more cash that way, instead of selling
    everything at once or selling each item individually. Simply let
    Best Buy know when you are making your purchase or during the return and exchange period.

    Once the money on the card is gone, you can't buy anything.

    my page: http://www.famtripper.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Few travellers on a Mashobra tour can resist the temptation of seeking blessings at the Mahasu Devta Temple.
    As Atlantis emerged from the blackness of
    space and into the blistering lights of the John F.
    Official Picture of President Reagan by the Executive Office
    of the Presidency used under Public Domain. When it comes to bridging your skills gap
    in gaming world then you can do anything to prove yourself.
    These applications are delivered with a lot more flexibility
    at a fraction of the cost compared to desktop applications.
    It is hard to believe that we are unable to provide the minimum required comfort
    to our old ones, destitute women and even orphans. Talcahuano.
    Nevertheless, we're now moving on and talking about the top Xbox 360 games for 2012. * You're realistic about what
    you expect from others. Two people have a heated argument, voices raised, vocalized obscenities, hearts racing ' obvious discord all rooted in fear.

    My web page: http://www.play-keys.com/ea-games/419/dead-space-3-limited-eu

    ReplyDelete
  14. If adult comedy is what entertains you then there are plenty of these as well.
    All you have to do is select the movie from the Camera Roll and adjust the slider.
    ' Game begins with a reasonable limit, but it gradually increases to excess as it becomes interesting and compelling to player.

    Look into my web-site :: videos downloaden

    ReplyDelete
  15. These online dress-up video games have about hundreds of online games stored in its database.

    A short video that requires minimal digital effects can be rendered in just a few minutes while a feature length animated
    movie can take up to several weeks because of the complexity of the effects needed
    and the 3D animation itself. Many games have role-playing incorporated and from the young age kids quickly learn from your heroes they choose to be.



    Here is my weblog :: kostenlos spiele spielen

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great alternative is Internet radio, also known as Web radio.
    You might want to think about getting a different type and model of mobile phone if you really need something that is faster and more powerful.

    Users also can listen to thousands of internet radio stations featuring online music in every style,
    including hip hop, jazz, new age, rock, classical, oldies,
    and more.

    my web page ... http://sascha-lien.de/

    ReplyDelete
  17. In response to this, there are always some people whose need to be noticed
    causes them to present themselves in a manner
    so bizarre as to stand out in the crowd. Far Cry 3 ends 2012 the
    right way, by giving us an immersive, open world
    environment. These towers reveal what animals are close to
    you, so you can hunt and skin them to make a new equipment.


    my page :: http://ninetoxive.livejournal.com/4130.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Over time, many of these radio personnel will be readily agreeable to featuring the entrepreneur whenever
    they release new products or services. One of the best internet
    radio apps I've found so far on the Windows Phone 7 Marketplace is for Last. This is a fantastic app for people who travel and it now supports multitasking.

    my blog post 3 April

    ReplyDelete
  19. HBO and Showtime are known for airing sexy TV series that feature a lot of
    sex and skin - Game of Thrones, True Blood, and Californication are proof that a
    50 Shades of Grey TV series could work. Not just that,
    you can watch exclusive pictures and videos to
    find out what your favorite celebrity is wearing on the red carpet and share it
    with your friends. The real question is, after "The Hangover" and its mediocre sequel
    (a third is in the works), along with copycat "Project X" and predecessor "Superbad,"
    does "21 and Over" have something new to bring to the table.


    Also visit my blog: atlanta zoo

    ReplyDelete
  20. He was embroiled in protracted legal debates over draft-dodging allegations.
    Performance and integrity of the coverage area are also going to be
    improved. In regards to quitting not always meaning failure,
    I think you're right.

    Also visit my weblog: please click the next site

    ReplyDelete
  21. Literally wiping sweat from my forehead after doing my best 90s dance moves to a
    memorable mix of old school joints from the
    likes of Special Ed, Eric B. Perhaps there
    is a news broadcast you want to check, or perhaps a vital sports game you cannot miss.
    com ( is the home site for a radio station only on the
    internet which provides exactly what it says: Worship music.


    my web site ... KatriceSe's profile / Mesa Tactical Forum

    ReplyDelete
  22. It iis based on computer with electrographic sensor technology.

    Aside from the obvious difficulties of pitching so brilliantly
    in such a high pressure situation, Larsen's feat is even more impressive when one considers that the Dodgers had four future Hall of Famers in their lineup: Duke Snider, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Pee Wee Reese. But what happens when a player runs out of race tokens.

    Here is my homepage: relevant web page

    ReplyDelete
  23. For instance, when you visit a news site, your Facebook
    profile pic often shows up in the comment section on articles so you can comment with your Facebook account.
    You can also change how many are displayed in this box.
    If you're looking to use social networking to advance or enhance your career than sites like Linked In, Career Builder, and Monster make sense to utilize.

    My webpage ... more resources

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congress tried in 2007 to pass a measure that would lock in
    the rate that could be charged through 2010 at 7. If you want
    to know what folks are listening to and talking about
    on the opposite coast, Fly - Cast is terrific. The viewing angle is extra wide, making
    it easier for you to read or even allow others to read
    with you.

    Also visit my web-site - online radio

    ReplyDelete
  25. Upon examining some etymological dictionaries,
    one can conclude that games are a creative expression of the human spirit through the creation of an activity that has an entertaining,
    instructive and competing element. Finding good outsourcing companies is the key, as naturally you do not want to lower the quality of the service.
    People are now looking to be able to connect to
    things like their vehicles through their smart phones, and now Buick has announced
    the release of their new e - Assist Fuel Effeciency smartphone games.


    Feel free to visit my blog post mouse click the next article - www.pyconuk.net

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nexus Radio is one of the best free Internet radio programs for the Windows 7 platform.
    So stations stepped up the amount of events they did per year.
    Shoutcast, Live365, and Yahoo Launch - Cast are some of the renowned Internet radio networks.



    Visit my site ... simply click the following webpage

    ReplyDelete
  27. However, you must know how to be able to effectively utilize the tools for you to essentially
    fully use the website. You might not allow people to write on your
    wall, however, when you share a thought, a
    link, or comment on someone's else wall, people can definitely also leave a comment. It allows you to see their picture and decide if you should add them to your friends.

    Take a look at my weblog ... http://www.campventure.org/index.php?/member/45632/

    ReplyDelete
  28. I understand that those are the products designed
    by manufacturers to make them money and if they are endorsed by winning popular professionals, sales will
    be high. Imagine never having to worry about what to wear to work, and even the infuriating traffic jams that never seem to end.
    Preparing to apply to the dozens of other game development companies for video game jobs will enable you
    to expand and diversify your list of possible employers, and your chances of getting
    hired will increase tremendously.

    Feel free to surf to my website ... Author's external home page...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Around 150 games in total, but that's relatively small compared to our users. Finding good outsourcing companies is the key, as naturally you do not want to lower the quality of the service. It can go as far as ruining their experience since it is the last interaction they have with a game.

    Here is my web blog; kostenlos spielen

    ReplyDelete
  30. You might need heavier line and tackle to account for powerful river flows.

    Spinning - Trout are aggressive and definitely will strike
    and eat smaller fish. The less there is between you and the ocean,
    the more intimate an experience you will have out at sea.


    Also visit my website :: http://www.yanni8.com/userinfo.php?uid=10526

    ReplyDelete
  31. com provides information on Fishing, Fly Fishing, Fishing Boats, Deep Sea Fishing and.
    You will also want to have a supply of different lines that you can use.
    Garmin Accuracy and Innovation Leads You to the Fish.


    Also visit my web site ... http://fishing.seweb.de

    ReplyDelete
  32. Like any game, when we stay within the rules,
    we score, and when we play outside the rules there of course is a penalty.
    Aside from the obvious difficulties of pitching so brilliantly in such a high pressure
    situation, Larsen's feat is even more impressive when one considers that the Dodgers had four future Hall of Famers in their lineup: Duke Snider, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Pee Wee Reese. But what happens when a player runs out of race tokens.

    my site Website

    ReplyDelete
  33. It bears mentioning that there are also games and simulations available to those wanting
    to learn to trade stock index futures. At the same time,
    web games seemed like the future of gaming, and we wanted to be a
    part of it. Preparing to apply to the dozens of other game development companies
    for video game jobs will enable you to expand and diversify your list of possible employers, and your chances of getting hired will increase tremendously.


    My page; Website

    ReplyDelete
  34. The new EP Pure Wet is a masterclass in experimental baselines and echoey, breathy vocals all
    underpinned by varying funk and R&B-based rhythms.
    I know a lot more music now than before and have changed my tastes.
    The only issue I have is that they really should have found a way to double face
    the can, so it will work better in store shelves.


    Feel free to surf to my blog post ... chillout Radio

    ReplyDelete
  35. I understand that those are the products designed by manufacturers to make them money and if they are endorsed by winning
    popular professionals, sales will be high. Say you're doing as well at Chemistry, and as you are doing at Maths Extension 2, then instead of splitting your study time equally between the two (just because they are both worth 2 units each), you should spend more time on Extension 2, simply because it scales higher. Harry Potter Hogwarts is one more entry into this new series of LEGO board games.

    My blog - racine Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  36. Once the game is 80% complete you will need to work on the sound.
    If you don’t have much skill in programming, but still think that
    creating and developing games is the most suitable for you,
    there are special courses that will give you training in graphic designing, game development, and
    computer animation. It's fast to build and play and will challenge your memory.

    My blog post ... visit the up coming webpage

    ReplyDelete
  37. And indeed Robert has made the paramount sterling effort, guided by his mentor, with
    beads of perspiration on his brow, Robert has brought it in to the landing net.
    Here is some helpful information so you can select a good charter boat and avoid a few of the pitfalls.
    When the water arrives at the inlet, most oxygen is dissolved
    because of the abrupt transformation of water movement.


    My blog post: click through the next website page

    ReplyDelete
  38. clients, Rachel, who got back together with her ex.
    However, every character in the game (even supporting players) should
    be presented in this same detail. t love the unself-conscious little
    boy or girl, the undaunted miniature explorer who moves with unbridled enthusiasm to experience life.


    Feel free to surf to my weblog ... mouse click the up coming article

    ReplyDelete
  39. “This is what is the most exciting to me, we play the
    independent bands that submit to us (and Music Submit), from all kinds of musical genres
    and it is a free format, for both the listener and the bands.
    Internet radio involves the delivery of audio programming via digital
    means from one computer to other computers over the internet.
    As a DJ you will get many requests from musical artists.


    My site :: internetradio aussetzer

    ReplyDelete

Share the love! Or, alternatively, the hate. Whichever, I'm easy

These Are Also Nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails