Sunday, July 18, 2010

Waiting For My Kick... (It's An Inception Joke, Deal With It)

"Mr. Cameron's singular vision has upped the ante for filmed entertainment, and given us a travelogue unlike any other."

"Whatever way you choose to look at it, Avatar's shock and awe demand to be seen. You've never experienced anything like it, and neither has anyone else. "

"First, let’s be clear… Avatar is much more than a film. It’s a prescribed cinematic experience"

FUCK THAT.

Avatar was touted as the movie that would change movies forever. And while I agree it was a visual experience unlike anything I'd ever seen, the story was crap! If you're going to spend ten years waiting for technology to catch up to your vision, then that gives you loads of time to craft a story that isn't Ferngully But With More Racist And Anti-Colonization Overtones And Also Blue Cat People. Also Sam Worthington is a robot. Just saying. Why am I ragging on Avatar? Because while it certainly wasn't the worst movie I'd seen in awhile, I stopped caring as soon as I left the theater. The characters were hollow, the conflict was tired, I could give a rat's ass once I wasn't gawking at the pretty pictures. It didn't change the face of movies as we know it, it just gave the face a pair of 3D glasses.

Now here comes another director who has spent almost as much time as James Cameron on his movie, except that time was spent writing the script. THE SCRIPT. Christopher Nolan has created a movie the likes of which has not been seen in ages. It has fantastic action and visuals, a highly original concept that is deeply explored, characters that are simple but still interesting and relatable enough that you care what happens to them, and a story that is engaging, fascinating and tautly suspenseful. It is a full and complete movie that lacks for nothing. So many times I leave the theater saying "well if only they'd done this," or "man if they'd just gone into this a bit more," but try as I might to pick this one apart, I can't find a single thing about it that I didn't like or wasn't done exceptionally well.

I know, I keep going on about how wonderful the story is and I'm not describing it at all. For once it's not my fangirl ADD, you should see this movie knowing as little possible. I kept myself carefully insulated and apart from the cast list all I knew was:

1. It's about dreams

2. Leonardo DiCaprio is some kind of dream thief

3. The trailer music made BWAAAAAAAAAAAAM noises but was also amazing



And that was it and it made the movie that much better. So if you haven't seen it, I'm warning you that I will be yelling about spoilers further down and dammit, don't read them! Go in knowing as little as you can. It's a wonderful movie, all the actors do an amazing job, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is massively adorable, Leo is getting very good at playing men barely clinging to sanity, Ken Watanabe never turns in a bad performance and Ellen Page makes you forget she was Juno (in a good way). Also Tom Hardy is just appealing in every way and Marion Cotillard is creepy and unsettling as hell (also in a good way). Hans Zimmer creates orchestral awesome per usual and you'll be gripping the arms of your seat (or more awkwardly, the person next to you) as the clock ticks down and our heroes chances at survival dwindle. With a highly original story and an ending that will have you arguing with anyone who will listen long after you leave the theater, Inception gets a perfect five catapults out of five, and Christopher Nolan continues to assert that he is the Second Cinematic Coming.

SPOILERS, DAMN YOU! BEWARE AND SUCH!!!



Are we alone? Good. Brilliant fucking ending. My whole theater simultaneously went all "AAAAGGH" when it faded to black before showing if it was real. So who thinks the totem fell and he was really back? I'd like to to think he was and my argument is because he saw his kid's faces for the first time in the whole movie. But then again the ending sequence is so incredibly dreamlike and suddenly Michael Caine appears in America when he was in just in Paris. What if he just went further in limbo?

And of course that just leads to "what if it was all a dream?" and true we join the movie not at a real beginning but already in progress, Dom moves from country to country rather effortlessly for a fugitive, etc. But then they show how difficult it is to construct a city? How could he keep his construct of an entire world running? Personally I think he was in reality when he was in reality, but then there's the "leap of faith" line that Mal says before she jumps and then Saito says it to Dom and Dom says it back and that punches a few holes in the "reality" argument.

Isn't it nice that there's a movie that can make you think and question without being boring and weighing you down with philosophy and also have kicking action scenes? I think so. I love this movie to bits already and it sucks because now the rest of the summer movies are just crap in comparison. Also now I have nothing to wait for until...

SCOTT PILGRIM


Until then, chew on Inception for awhile and tell me your theories in the comments! This is Sugary Cynic saying "did anyone notice that the song that they played to wake people up was by the singer who Marion Cotillard won an Oscar for portraying? Or am I just a dork?"

Dom Cobb: "Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange"

19 comments:

  1. I did not notice the Edith Piaf song, but that is pretty awesome (it was set in place before she was cast, apparently).

    HOLYSHITHOWAWESOMEISTHISMOVIE!?!?!

    ALso, fuck Avatar. Fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I must skip most of our blog this time for fear of film spoilage. But your high remarks for this movie has convinced me to move it up to the top of the list to see, so thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never saw Avatar but I really hate movies that look visually stunning but have no story. I'm really plot driven so great visuals mean little to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avatar was like a pretty girl who is superficial and soulless. Inception is the pretty girl you stay up all night setting the world to rights with. Only, y'know, they're films.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simon: some people thought it was overhyped but I LOVED THE SHIT OUT OF IT

    Jacob: s'cool, go see it!!

    Sadako: I'd say Avatar is worth seeing once, but then the "once" that I saw it was in IMAX 3D which is the only way it's cool. Just watching it on a regular TV is boring because once you're done going "ooooh!" you realize it's a dumb movie

    Unawshed: Yeah! Exactly! Only, ya know, I'd change it to dudes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inception highly original? Do better, wannabe-writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's see your review of Inception, captain critic-pants. Is it shinier?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. My sentiments exactly, on both Avatar and Inception.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wake up kick sound (loud syncopated bass notes heard notably at the start of the film before Cobb wakes up on the beach) sounds almost identical to the beginning of Non je ne regrette rien slowed down. How freaking epic an afterthought is that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings! Very useful advice within this article! It's the little changes that will make the most important changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

    Here is my web blog :: vertical jump workouts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Appreciate this post. Will try it out.

    Feel free to visit my blog - vertical leap workouts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I could have sworn I've been to this web site before but after going through some of the posts I realized it's new to me.

    Nonetheless, I'm certainly happy I found it and I'll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!


    Stop by my page: vertical leap workouts

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too.

    This kind of clever work and exposure! Keep up the very good works guys I've added you guys to our blogroll.

    Look at my website; bluegreen vacation club rip off

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know whether it's just me or if perhaps everyone else experiencing problems with your site.
    It appears as if some of the written text on your content are
    running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This could be a issue with my internet browser because I've had this happen before. Kudos

    My weblog - workouts to increase vertical Jump

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession
    capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog
    posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access
    consistently fast.

    Feel free to visit my website http://recentarticless.info/Some-Good-Workouts-That-Will-Improve-Your-Vertical-Leap.htm

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's actually a great and useful piece of information. I'm glad that
    you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Also visit my site - workouts to increase vertical leap

    ReplyDelete
  17. I seldom leave a response, but i did a few searching and wound up here "Waiting For My Kick... (It's An Inception Joke, Deal With It)".
    And I do have a couple of questions for you if you do not mind.
    Could it be only me or does it give the impression like some of these
    comments appear like they are left by brain dead visitors?

    :-P And, if you are writing on other social sites, I would like
    to keep up with everything new you have to post. Would you list of all of all your community pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?


    Look at my web-site: http://Www.patisipe.Com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. You really make it appear so easy with your presentation however I to find this matter to
    be actually one thing that I feel I'd never understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely wide for me. I'm looking forward for your next publish,
    I'll try to get the cling of it!

    Feel free to surf to my site workouts to Improve vertical

    ReplyDelete

Share the love! Or, alternatively, the hate. Whichever, I'm easy

These Are Also Nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails