Saturday, May 1, 2010

Generator Rex (Just Bear With Me)

So I spent most of today in a weird mid-finals stupor where nothing really got accomplished. I did end up checking out this new show on Cartoon Network called Generator Rex. First off, I'm not a big cartoon person, some years ago I was but I barely even watch TV anymore, let alone cartoons. Part of this is because the cartoons today kind of suck. And they've been sucking for quite some time. Spongebob has been around since I was NINE (holy crap I feel old) and I feel like it was kind of the death knell for cartoons. Back when I was a munchkin I had great shit that wasn't just awesomely violent but also had plenty of material aimed at older audiences, like X-men, Animaniacs, Men In Black, The Tick, Spiderman, really cool stuff. Nowadays, it just all seems lame. Maybe you agree, maybe you disagree, maybe you don't give a shit about me blathering on about cartoons and maybe this just means that I'm too old for cartoons anyway and am becoming a crotchety old lady who thinks about how much better cartoons were in her day "In my day, we'd walk fifty miles through the snow to see a cartoon that wasn't afraid to make adult references!"

But guess what? This Generator Rex thing that I just randomly caught the first two episodes of, it's awesome.

He made a sword...from his BODY. (Insert penis joke here....heh, insert)

Anyway, the premise is that scientists were developing some kind of nanite...thing, because nanites have become the catch-all for scientific bullshit lately, and it exploded, coating the world and everyone in it, with nanite-ness. For the most part this did nothing except some people mutated into awesome monster thingies called EVOs, some of these EVOs go all batshit crazy and try to destroy things and that's were Rex comes in. He's the teenage secret weapon of some organization called Providence that is the go-to for cleaning up EVO mess. Rex is kick-ass because he can actually control his nanites and makes machines SPROUT FROM HIS BODY. Jet pack? Check. Chainsaw? Check. Giant motorbike? Check. Hell yeah! So the cartoon follows Rex and his handlers, it awesome for the following reasons:

1. THEY SAY THE WORD KILL. This is a huge quibble I have with cartoons today that, even if they're action cartoons, shy away from "kill" or "death" and go with the wonderfully non-specific "destroy." On this show they say kill and even address the fact that faceless minions who generally serve as cannon fodder actually kick the bucket

2. Rex's machines are freaking cool, but not infallible. They show you that all it takes are some head games to make him lose control or shut down, which will keep the show from becoming to Superman-esquely predictable.

3. The guys at Providence are kind of dicks. Right away you see that these aren't the goodest of good guys. In the second episode we see the boss of Providence (voiced by the ever-awesome JK Simmons) is totally ok with murdering a few thousand nanite-infected New Yorkers to contain the virus. Of course Rex figures out a way around it but the point is that the murdering of innocent people was THE GOOD GUY'S PLAN. Also, they kind of treat Rex like crap, more like a weapon than a human kid. It's just nice that not everything is black or white and there's some gray area.

4. There's a monkey with a fez and an eye-patch. Yes, he occasionally says stupid crap, but he's voiced by Bender from Futurama! Bender!!

5. Rex is actually kind of likable and not all irritating for a teenage boy hero. And also he has amnesia, which at least gives him a purpose of some kind. He has no idea who he really is or where he came from so he works with Providence because they promised to help him figure out his past.

6. Agent Six. Holy shit, cartoon characters are not allowed to be as awesome as this dude is. He's this guy in a green suit and sunglasses who follows after Rex and is basically a nanny/Men in Black/ninja. He has swords that come out of sleeves and are magnetic and he kicks everything's ass! Unfortunately, there is no official picture of him online as of yet, but luckily, fandom abhors a vacuum and there are already fan-made pictures up:



And now to push my luck with...

SUGARY CYNIC'S SYNOPSIS OF THE FIRST EPISODE OF GENERATOR REX!



It works!! The ridiculously long pause worked!!

So there you have it. Six perfectly good (mostly) reasons to give this show a shot (and also one deranged video). Here's hoping it will continue to not suck.

Also, I have my Stats final tomorrow. (I know, a final at 10am on a Sunday, is that sick or what?) Please pray for me to whatever deity you so wish.

Agent Six: "What you are about to see is extremely disturbing."

Rex: "Disturbing? ...Cool!"

20 comments:

  1. I approve the use of toothless!!!! and he should make more appearances!!!!! Val agrees!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so definetly just watched Generator rex, and it's definetly the successor of teen titans and ben 10. Which is cool cause it means lots of action and like general themes and of course awesome bad guy. (van kleiss vs SLADE!!!!) but I dunno, I fear that there is alot that can be done with the premise of this show, and it's all going to be thrown away in favor of focusing on rex, providence, and the missions.

    I WANT TO KNOW WHAT MAKES PEOPLE WITH NANITES GO MAD!! why are some people in control and others not! why are all of the things rex makes machines??? machines are unnecesarily complex, for example, instead of giant mechanical boots, why not feet? is rex 100% nanite like van kleiss, or is there another more human component. how widespread is the nanite infestation (probably worldwide) WHAT POWERS THE NANITES!!!! (little machines don't just run on magic you know) AGH!!!!!!!!

    also, why is it all so arbitrary?? and why monsters, and what happened to those 2 guards that got hit by warp girls portals in the 1st episode? were they shredded, sent to VK's mansion? (ok this question is rediculous, but still!!!)

    Ok, and agent 6?!?!? is he actually a prototype for rex? cause he has inhuman jumping and strength!!! I mean, he's just a little bit to awesome to simply be human. just saying!

    I dunno, it's like, rex is awesome! but, like, if you could spew mechanical arms and legs and cannons and swords, wouldn't you ask "maybe I can make myself 5x my size??"

    and why do all of his appendages fall off shattering machines!!!! if I chop off his arm, will it collapse the same way?!?!? and when he get's hit and loses part of his jetpack, couldn't he just regrow it?!? maybe later when he's stronger...

    the sad part is, I probably won't get an answer to any of these questions except VK eventually revealing that rex was the original incarnation of nanites that caused the giant awesome explosion and then VK (head scientist) was bestowed his abilities by rex. then Rex went out and spread nanites everywhere. rex had nearly beaten all resistence when providence captured him, but not without losing 9 of their 10 agents. they then modified rex's nanites thereby removing his memory of who he was, and enslaving him under the close watch of agent 6.

    is this a total rip off of KOTOR, yes. is it possible, I think so. but I'll just have to wait till VK tells us the truth. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh Javi, you did that thing you do when you put way too much mental thought into a children's cartoon show. Seriously, take deep breaths and have a lie down

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is terribly off-topic, but was that a Be Kind Rewind poster behind your head? If it was, awesome.

    I don't think I get that channel anymore. Which is a shame, because I dug the shit out of Teen Titans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is indeed a Be Kind Rewind poster. You are seriously one of the very few people I know who like that movie. Also, I totally forgot about Teen Titans, that was such a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This show seems really good... which it is. Nick has gone way downhill, Disney is past the point of no return, and cartoon network is like up down up down crash and burn boo up up yay best show ever. in other words, TV=BS

    ReplyDelete
  7. too true. so far I'm still digging this show, which is a good sign cuz if it was crap I'da lost interest

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, yes indeed...................................................................................................SHOOP A DOOPA DOOP................................

    ReplyDelete
  9. We absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be exactly I'm looking for.
    can you offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn't mind composing a post or elaborating on a number of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome website!
    my website: online Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  10. I all the time used to study post in news papers but
    now as I am a user of net so from now I am using net for content, thanks to web.
    Here is my web blog :: http://social.easynet.mn/blogs/4902/23288/steps-to-stop-smoking

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and test once more right here
    frequently. I am rather sure I will be informed
    lots of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!
    Also visit my weblog :: Http://Www.Jopuls.Com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you could be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and may come back someday. I want to encourage one to continue your great posts, have a nice afternoon!
    Also visit my website ; health plans

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do not know if it's just me or if perhaps everybody else encountering problems with your blog. It appears as if some of the written text on your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too? This might be a issue with my internet browser because I've had this happen previously.
    Thank you

    Here is my blog ... diaper coupons

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whеn I initiаlly commеnted Ӏ clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now
    еaсh time a comment іs aԁded I get sеνeral еmails with the
    ѕame cоmment. Is there аny wаy you can remove me from that ѕerviсe?
    Cheerѕ!

    Alѕο visit my page; http://Www.Www.Burningmaninfo.com/question/125/should-i-buy-a-starter-kit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good day! I know this is kind of off topic but I was
    wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having problems finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

    Also visit my blog; Symptoms Of Methadone Withdrawal

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download
    it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog jump out.
    Please let me know where you got your theme. Appreciate it

    My webpage natural dark spot corrector

    ReplyDelete
  17. Today, I went to the beachfront with my kids.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.
    There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to
    go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!



    Here is my weblog ... women Cargo Pants
    My web site > cargo pants for men

    ReplyDelete
  18. Τhanks on youг marvelous posting! І actually enϳoуеd reading it,
    you wіll be a great authoг.Ι will ensure that I boοkmark your blog and will comе back sometime soon.
    Ӏ want to encourage continue youг great ρоsts, have
    а nice afternoon!

    Feеl free to surf to my blog: best minimalist running shoes

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the valuable information you provide to your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and test again here frequently. I am fairly certain I will learn many new stuff right right here!
    Best of luck for the following!

    my page :: mouse click the up coming article

    ReplyDelete
  20. I visited many sites but the audio quality for audio songs existing at
    this website is in fact excellent.

    My web page - http://www.business-opportunities.biz/db/index.php?title=Women_s_Clothing_Related_Articles

    ReplyDelete

Share the love! Or, alternatively, the hate. Whichever, I'm easy

These Are Also Nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails