Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Music Monday: And The Beat Goes On...(and on and on)

Ugh, I am friggin beat. Two papers done, a test re-done and still more to come. And this pre-finals season. Like spring training or something. I have not yet begun to suffer. Damn, that was gloomier than I intended. Anyway, the crux of it is that I am fucking exhausted (again). And you will have to deal with me being lazy and just giving you the songs without hunting for the pictures or pontificating on their awesomeness. Although, in the case of today's theme, it's probably better that I don't talk about them. Today's theme is in fact, songs with the best story. This is a tribute to songs that literally tell a story, perhaps sad, uplifting or completely deranged, these songs aren't just "let's party all night" or "that bitch left me for my truck" they have a (somewhat) cohesive narrative to follow, so listen and enjoy:

1. Greencard Husband, Gogol Bordello. Sleepy-style comment: Gets stuck in your head forever, best not sing it in public:



2. State of Massachusetts, Dropkick Murphys. You'll dance, you'll rock out, you'll cringe in horror upon realizing it tells the story of a negligent mother:



3. Death, Death (Devil, Devil, Devil, Devil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil Song), Voltaire. The tale of a punk kid from the Hot Topic set who just can't relate (it's funny, just trust me):



4. Anna Is A Stool Pigeon, Tom Gabel. Ok, I am cheating, I used this one already under the category of songs I love from bands I hate, but c'mon! It's a song about love and betrayal between a protester and an informant for the FBI. If that's not a story I don't what is:



5. Ten Million Slaves, Otis Taylor. I love Otis Taylor, he makes me see the banjo is not just for extras on the movie Deliverance. The song tells of Nuclear winter being a go as one dude chills alone in a bomb shelter thinking about the slaves shipped to America and the end of the world. It's so freaking good it boggles the mind:



And that's it! Now get off mah property! (Nah, you can stay awhile, just take your sneakers off so you don't track dirt, I just cleaned in here)

1 comment:

Share the love! Or, alternatively, the hate. Whichever, I'm easy

These Are Also Nice

Related Posts with Thumbnails